Drew Nye '25 holds the Boot Trophy over his head to celebrate the win over West High School.
Drew Nye ’25 holds the Boot Trophy over his head to celebrate the win over West High School.
Megan Swartzendruber
Categories:

Offensive Explosion Secures the Boot for City

With seconds left on the clock Bobby Bacon found Jack Lampe in the end zone for the winning two-point conversion to beat West High 40-39
Music licensed through ArtList

After a late touchdown in the fourth quarter by the Trojans, the Little Hawks found themselves down 39-32 with 1:58 left on the clock.

After multiple long catches by Parker Sutherland ‘25 and Conner Cross ‘25, the team was now in position for a game-tying touchdown. After a 1:30 drive, Dominic Salibi ‘25 ran the ball in for a touchdown. But, instead of going for the extra point, head coach Mitch Moore decided to go for two to take the lead. After a time-out, they lined up in a bunch formation and the team ran a fake toss. After rolling out slightly, Bobby Bacon ‘25 lobbed it up to the back of the endzone and after being tipped by the West High defender Jack Lampe ‘26 came down with his first catch of the season and the go-ahead two-point conversion. But, after two unsportsmanlike penalties, the little Hawks had to kick off from their own twelve-yard line. The Trojans got a decent return to the Little Hawks 43-yard line. Following, Jack Wallace connected with Mason Woods to put them in field goal range to win the game. Adam Salem ’26 missed the field goal short in the final seconds. The team took a knee and walked away victorious in a close-fought win.

“I was already preparing to get the ball right when we were told the play so I was a bit nervous but, just ran my route and I was in the back of the endzone ready to catch it on the run but he tried to loft it over the defender instead so I adjusted and got the ball off the tip,” Jack Lampe ‘26 said.

Some stat leaders from the memorable game were Bobby Bacon who was 16/17 with 256 yards and two touchdowns. Dominic Salibi who had 19 rushes for 93 yards and two touchdowns. Defensively, Marshall Sheldon continues his historic season with 6.5 tackles. After this win, the infamous boot trophy will stay at City High for the fourth year in a row.

“Yeah I was definitely really nervous before the field goal but, after it missed I was really happy about the win and keeping the boot for my entire Highschool career,” Bobby Bacon ‘25 said.

$2300
$5000