Marshall Sheldon, Hazel Schluckebier, Coden Kurtz, and Eve Vitense are this years freshmen to watch
Categories:

Freshmen to Watch

A look into four class of 2028 athletes that excel in their sports, talk about their journey through athletics and future goals
Hazel Schluckebier '28 signals to her teammates during a game against Dubuque Hempstead
Hazel Schluckebier

As she steps onto the court for the first time, getting ready to get her very first few assists of the season in, Hazel Schluckebier takes a deep breath and prepares to lock in. The freshman has worked hard to earn her spot on the varsity volleyball team by working hard every practice, and participating in club volleyball in the off-season to prepare for the upcoming high school season. 

Starting in 7th grade, Schluckebier was encouraged to play volleyball by her father. She decided to try out for the Rockets [volleyball club] and made the team. 

“I fell in love with it,” Schluckebier said.

She currently leads the team with over 300 assists in only the start of this season. Her transition from playing middle school volleyball to high school volleyball shows her talent and resilience as a player and an overall person. 

Schluckebier is the only freshman who made varsity this year, and whilst it is a huge accomplishment, challenges come with the territory. However, even with that pressure, Schluckebier has faced an unwavering amount of support.

“It’s hard to deal with that [pressure] just by myself, so I know I can lean on other people to help me. My teammates, especially the upperclassmen who have been in my position before, just talk to me before games and ask me how I’m feeling a lot. You know, high fives on the court, encouraging words, etc. Whenever I have questions, Karen, Carolyn, all the coaches [are there for me], and I’m able to talk to them if I’m feeling stressed out,” Schluckebier said.

Schluckebier’s family is also a big part of her support system. They are always willing to sign her up for camps, clinics, and whatever else she needs to help her be successful. 

With her new position, a big challenge Schluckebier faces is getting used to her new teammates and the newfound attention that surrounds the varsity court. Despite those things, Schluckebier has continued to improve and learn many new tools, especially as she immerses herself in the increased level of competitiveness.

“I love it so much; setting experienced hitters, I feel like I can just let my imagination run wild when I’m setting them. I love playing competitive games, so it’s a lot of fun, I [also] feel like the older girls have done a really good job supporting me.”

Schluckebier’s big goals for this season and the rest of her high school career are to go to state and to Division 1. She is always willing and wanting to make improvements to help herself grow further as a player. 

“I’m excited to see what the future brings [me]!”

Hazel Schluckebier ’28 signals to her teammates during a game against Dubuque Hempstead
Marshall Sheldon gets ready for the game to begin. Photo courtesy of Amber Seaton
Marshall Sheldon

Marshall Sheldon ‘28 has been playing football since he was five years old. Now here he is starting for the Little Hawks varsity team at linebacker. His dad played a big part in his inspiration to play football. His father, Thad Sheldon, played football at University of Iowa and now teaches at The School That Leads. Sheldon ‘28 also stated that the coaches he has had along his football journey were a big help to keep on going. 

The biggest change of scenery in his football life was the jump from playing middle school football at South East to now running it with the Little Hawk starters at City High in just a short year. 

“It’s definitely different,” Sheldon ‘28 . “But it’s a good change. I like it: it gives me some challenge.” 

However, in the step up of competition, there’s more pressure that comes with it. 

“There’s a little pressure, but it doesn’t help to think about all the pressure and [it’s better to] just go do it.” Sheldon ‘28 said. This mindset has done him great, as he started off his first game against Joliet Catholic with 9.5 tackles, the best on the entire defense. 

He also explained how his teammates are a big help to have alongside. “I got some good teammates who help me out.” 

The electric freshman isn’t just great for the upperclassmen varsity players to have around. He has been highly appreciated by his coaches, too. 

“Marshall Sheldon has already made history at this school being one of if not the only true freshman varsity starter,” Linebacker coach Ilias Montoya . “He has earned his spot this year through his resiliency, dedication, natural ability, and coach-ability. I cannot wait to see how he grows as a player and a person throughout his high school career.” 

Sheldon ‘28 says music is critical for getting him mentally ready before a game. He starts off with some Mac DeMarco to calm his nerves, and when it gets closer and closer to game time, he’ll turn on some Ken Carson to get the adrenaline running and be ready to hit. 

Marshall Sheldon ‘28 looks to accomplish big things in his high school years, as he has started his freshman campaign great, leading the defense with 37.5 tackles, including 26 solo tackles. While he’s undecided on what he wants to do after high school, he has one major goal in mind for his late teenage years: “Go win that state ‘chip, baby.’” 

Eve Vitense '28 getting ready to catch. Photo Courtesy of Todd Stewart
Eve Vitense

Eve Vitense ‘28 has always been surrounded by athletics. Her childhood was full of every sport imaginable, from softball to pickleball. She spent hours around sports, whether it was watching her older brother Cal Vitense ‘26 play ball, or playing catch with her dad in the backyard. As Eve grew up, she began competing in some of those activities. 

“I play volleyball, basketball, and softball. It’s pretty difficult being a multi-sport athlete. But I think that playing multiple sports is better than just playing one, because one sport can help you get better at another,” Vitense said. 

When asked what her favorite sport was, Vitense responded, 

“Softball is my favorite because I’ve been playing it from a young age. I started playing because my whole family played softball or baseball,” Eve said. 

Vitense had many role models as she grew up, including her brother, Cal ‘26, and her dad, Kurt. But her biggest inspiration, she says, is her mom, Teesa, a City High alum.

“She was good at pretty much every sport. She played volleyball, softball, basketball, track, and soccer, she later on played soccer in college at Iowa.” Vitense aspires to follow in her mother’s footsteps. “My dream is to play collegiate softball.” 

Vitense practices softball three to four days a week in addition to the rest of the practices for other sports that she partakes in. She started on the City softball team as an 8th grader, and she also plays for a club team, The Barracudas. Eve loves the competitiveness that surrounds her club team environment but also loves playing for City High softball. Overall, Eve’s favorite part about playing softball is “playing as a team.” Her favorite position is shortstop, because they are the “leader” of the field. Eve likes to lead by example, and loves to help her teammates out and encourage them when they are down.

Winning is always the goal for Vitense. 

“I just like to win. It’s fun. It’s not very fun to lose,” Eve said.

Although she is in the midst of volleyball season, Vitense is already looking ahead to the upcoming ‘25 City High softball season, she is working hard on her off time. Vitense says her goals for the team next season are “trying to win more games, and just to get better as a team overall.” 

Eve Vitense ’28 getting ready to catch. Photo Courtesy of Todd Stewart
Coden Kurtz '28 at a baseball game preparing during warmups.
Coden Kurtz

Growing up with two older brothers and a dad who coached college wrestling, Coden Kurtz has always had a love for sports. He mentioned a very competitive environment he was in growing up. The young Kurtz has shown that he can be a major player in multiple sports, such as baseball, football, and basketball.

Kurtz was born in Coralville and moved to the east side in first grade. He attributes a lot of his success to this change in environment. Kurtz describes how easy it was to grow as an athlete with how supportive the coaches and community are. 

Kurtz also talked about how part of his motivation comes from his very supportive parents and brothers. Both of his brothers, Kael ‘24 and Kendall Kurtz ‘25, have been longtime City High athletes who have played large roles across many City High sports teams, such as football, baseball, and wrestling. 

“My biggest motivation is that I have an opportunity that a ton of kids don’t have. My parents are my biggest supporters, and are always there for me.” 

Whether it was them making sure he made it to practices on time, or giving him rides to practices and games, Kurtz said he would not be where he is today without their support.

“The biggest piece of advice I’ve ever received is that there’s always extra stuff to do. You’re never done with anything. You can always go into extra time and have extra stuff to do.” 

One of Coden’s goals is to play at the collegiate level and be able to get an athletic scholarship. 

“College is really expensive, and to get to that level, I just know that I have to do something every day to get better.” Coden says.

A quote Kurtz lives by is “Just 1% better every day”, it helps him remember that he has to continue to work hard to achieve his goals. 

Coden can often be found in the weight room or in the gym, putting in countless hours to get better. This desire to always push himself and to become better every day is what sets him apart from a lot of other athletes his age. 

Coden Kurtz ’28 at a baseball game preparing during warmups.
$2335
$5000